Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Weeki Tisa (Week Nine)

Monday we spent the day (siku) preparing the agenda for the upcoming Steering Committee Meeting (mkutano). There were a number of key items that were to be discussed and the meeting and we wanted to prioritize our key discussion items so that we could address all the immediate project concerns (uhusiano) and goals (mwisho). We prepared the agenda using the information we have gathered in the last few months (mwezi) and from our communication (taarifa) with the Canadian team. We also wanted to make sure that we prepared the agenda based on the needs and wants of the Tukwamuane Yogurt group. It was essential for us address the Mamas concerns and to make sure that their concerns and goals were vocalized. We decided to focus our weekly meeting on explaining the Steering Committee agenda to the mamas so that we could get their full input and make any necessary changes (mabadaliko) to the agenda based on our discussion. As we went through the agenda, the mamas informed us that we had covered most of what needed to be discussed at the meeting. There were a few new updates and changes to be made to the agenda, but in general, they were pleased with the first draft. After our meeting with the Mamas and Alex, Jon spent some time saying goodbye (kwa heri) to them since he was leaving early the next morning (asubuhi) to head to Ireland and then back home to Canada. Jon thanked the Mamas for everything (kila kitu) and the Mamas wished him a safe and pleasant journey (safari njema). After our meeting with the Mamas we decided to take Jon to his favorite local eatery for his goodbye dinner. I can’t remember the name of the place but we call it the Samaki Place (Fish Place) because they have the best grilled fish in town (mji). It was nice to enjoy some delicious food (chakula) while in the company of our good friends (rafiki).
We also spoke to one of our friends who had taken care of very young kittens before and she informed us how to care for the Littlest Hobo so we bought some Nido (formula) and continued to feed him using a syringe. At first Hobo was very squirmy and reluctant during feeding time but once he tasted the formula he seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. I have never cared for such a tiny, fragile creature before so I was a little nervous but I was determined to do all that I could do to keep this cute little guy alive. For the rest of the week we continued feeding Hobo as often as possible and also assisted him with his toilet time. We made him a comfy bed (kitanda) out of a box (kasha) and some blankets (blangeti). I even used one of my scarves (skafu) as a mosquito (mbu) net for the little guy….so cute! Even though I would love to keep Hobo, I was quite realistic about not having him as a pet since I am leaving in December (mwezi wa kumi na mbili) so I talked to one of my friends who lives here and made sure that once Hobo was a little bigger and stronger he would have a safe, loving home. My friend agreed to take him once he was able to eat on his own.

Jon left very early on Tuesday morning to head to the Mwanza airport so Ashley and I woke up to say goodbye and see him off. We were sad to see our roomie go but since Jon was so sick the whole time, it was probably in his best interests to leave early. Later on in the morning I headed over to the kitchen (jiko) and Mtoni High School to assist the mamas with cooking chipatis, mandazis and chai for the breakfast program. Because the Mamas were short on help, I stayed until about 1pm rolling chapattis. I was exhausted after making so many chapattis and my arms really hurt from all of the doe rolling I did. It made me think about how hard the Mamas all work each and everyday (kila siku). The Mamas open the yogurt kitchen everyday at 7:30pm and start working straight away until about 7:30 or 8:00pm. Not only do they work hard at the yogurt kitchen and at home with their families but they work so hard to keep the breakfast program up and running. It is amazing how much of a difference 10 driven women can make within a community. I constantly admire these women who can work so hard to benefit their families and communities while at the same time never losing their positive spirit and nurturing attitudes.
When we were finished with the breakfast program I went home for lunch and then headed to the internet cafĂ© to work on some project emails. Later on that day Alex came by to work on our Master Plan document and to translate the Steering Committee Meeting Agenda into Kiswahili. In the evening the other Students for Development Intern (SFD), Geoff, returned from his trip to Kenya so he came to stay with us for a night before he returned to Sengarema. That evening I started to feel quite tired and ill so I decided to go to the clinic and get checked out. It turns out I had malaria…3 rings. I spent the rest of the evening resting and drinking lots of water as the doctor advised.

Even thought I was not feeling the best from the malaria, I spent Wednesday working on the Steering Committee Meeting preparations since there were only a few days before our big meeting. I spent most of the day organizing (panga) and printing documents for the meeting and making confirmation calls to the members of the Mwanza Steering Committee. Just the photocopying and printing that I did took about 2-3 hours because I had to print and photocopy about 100 pages and things work a little slower here than at home sometimes. In the late afternoon we had another meeting with the Mamas to prepare for our big Steering Committee meeting on Friday. Although I participated in the meeting I started to feel quite ill again and had to rest for the remainder of the evening.

On Thursday I was feeling a bit better because the malaria medication that I had taken was finally kicking in. In the morning I finished calling the remainder of the Steering Committee Members while Ashley picked up all of the drinks, snacks, and supplies for our meeting the next day. Just after lunchtime Ashley and I headed to Mabatini to meet the Mamas. The Mamas were very excited because they were to receive their cows that they had purchased for the new kitchen site in Nyamhongoro that afternoon. The Mamas had received some funding from the Tanzanian Social Action Fund (TASAF) for the purchase of the cows so that they could start producing their own milk (maziwa) supply.
The Mamas asked us to accompany them to Nyamhongoro to celebrate the arrival of their cows so off we went on the daladala to the new kitchen site. Once we arrived at the Nyamhongoro site we realized that the Mamas had had a new structure built on the property. The Mamas informed us that they had 50, 000TSH (~$50.00 CAN) left over from the purchase of each cow because they had overestimated the cost of the cattle so they used the extra money to build the storage(uwekaji) and guard (askari) house (nyumbani) that they needed for the site. It was nice to see the Mamas taking such initiative in spearheading their project. Once we arrived at the site we relaxed for a little while and then started to work a little on the new site preparations. Mama Elizabeth, Mama Leah and Mama Cecilia started loading stones and rocks to finish the floor (sakafu) of the store/ guard house so Ashley and I decided to join in and help them out. Even though I had malaria I thought that I would help out because I know that when the Mamas are sick, they still come to work and work very hard at that. Besides, I was feeling much better. We began by loading larger sized rocks into the hut using an old steel pan and our hands. Then we added a layer of smaller sized rocks to the base. Lastly we added a layer of sandy gravel to complete the floor of the structure. A lot of time and sweat went into finishing that floor and we were happy to finish after about an our and a half. I thought that it was pretty neat that we finished (tulimaliza) building a floor to a structure using such simple materials. I total we used rocks, sand, a steel pan, a burlap sac and a small shovel to complete the construction of the store/guard house…pretty sweet. At least now I know how to construct a proper house if I am ever stranded in the middle of nowhere or on a deserted island somewhere.
After about an hour of rest time (pumzika) we saw the truck with the cows in it in the near distance. As soon as the Mamas spotted the truck they began singing and cheering and we all ran to the road to greet Mama Paskwalina, Mama Sabina and the newly purchased cows. When the truck arrived the Mamas continued to sing and dance and we all celebrated for a little while. I though it was really hilarious and quite random that the truck was painted white with black spots and had the phrase MMMMMMHHHHHHH? written across the back of the vehicle. Ashley and I could not stop laughing. The unloading of the cows from the truck was also quite amusing because one by one the cows leaped off of the truck (it looked like they were jumping hurdles or something) onto the grassy area beside the road. The cows immediately started munching on the grass and we not hesitant to belt out a good solid ‘moooooooo’ every once in a while. Since we were a short distance from the cow banda we had to herd the cows to their new home at the kitchen site. The men who delivered the cows as well as the Mamas, Ashley and I surrounded the cows and all held sticks in our hands to shoo them into their new home. After some really hilarious shenanigans chasing the cows all over the field, we finally rounded them up and got them into the banda. I never could have predicted that I would become a construction worker and a rancher all in one day…but that’s how things work here in Tanzania, there are surprises around every corner and you find yourself learning so much while participating in the strangest activities.
Once the cows were secured in their new home, we all sat for a while watching them. Mama Paskwalina explained to us that there was one male and four female and she suggested that Ashley and I name them. After about 30 minutes of throwing around names for the cows we finally decided on a name for each cow that perfectly suited their personality. The final names for the cows were Bruno, Sally, Alice, Beti, and Lolita! The mamas told us that they loved the names and made us write them down so that they wouldn’t forget them and so that they would know who was who. After hanging out with the cows for a little while we decided to return home since it was going to get dark soon. We spent the rest of the evening preparing for our big meeting the next day.

Early Friday morning I woke up feeling quite sick again from the malaria. I am pretty sure that the malaria medication made me feel even worse than the actual malaria itself. I felt really strange. The medication combined with the symptoms of the malaria made me feel very groggy, tired and dizzy. It wasn’t the best day to be feeling so awful since we had our big Steering Committee Meeting but regardless of how I felt, I had to be there and I had to pull myself together. Alex came over before the meeting so that we could print out a Swahili version of the meeting agenda to accompany the English version. Ashley was nice enough to take over the task of printing out the agendas and gathering the supplies for the meeting so that I could rest a little bit before the meeting. Soon after we were on our way to NIMR to set up for the meeting.
When we arrived at NIMR the room that we had booked for our meeting was still being cleaned by the cleaning staff so we waited outside for them to finish. As usual things were running a little late and we did not quite start our meeting on time. We had to wait about 30 minutes after our meeting was supposed to start for the staff to finish cleaning the room and on top of that over half of the Steering Committee Members arrived late. Finally about an hour (saa moja) after we were supposed to start our meeting we commenced our discussions. Unfortunately the Deputy Mayor and The Women’s Rights counselor from Mwanza City Council called earlier on that morning to inform us that they would not be able to attend the meeting since they had to attend a very important meeting to elect the new Mayor for next year. We were a little disappointed that they could not make it since we were counting on them to be a main resource to find avenues for local funding for the project but there reason for not being able to attend was understandable. The meeting lasted about 2.5 hours and all the agenda items were discussed. Some of the topics that were discussed included quality control of the probiotic yogurt, funding, packaging, marketing, networking with other community groups and women’s collectives as well as research initiatives.
After the Steering Committee Meeting I went directly home to rest since I was feeling very dizzy and ill. I spent the rest of the day and evening in bed.

On Saturday I woke up feeling almost 100% better. It must have been all the rest that I got. I wasn’t planning on it because of the malaria but because I felt so much better I decided to join about 25 of my friends on a trip to Kijereshi Lodge, just outside of the Serengeti. We stayed until Sunday evening and we all had a blast! It was neat too because we got to see some cool wildlife. We saw ostriches and baboons and some buffalo…very cool. We returned home late Sunday evening so that we could rest up for another workweek.

No comments:

Post a Comment