Friday, August 28, 2009

Weeki Kumi (Week Ten)

On Monday I spent the morning at the apartment working on creating a label that would fit the new packaging. Even though I’m not the most artistic person (as most people know), I was pleased with the outcome of the 3 samples of labeling that I created. I made 3 different designs so that the Mamas could choose which one they liked best. Later on in the day Alex and the Mamas came over for our weekly meeting. We spent the majority of the meeting debriefing about the big Steering Committee Meeting on Friday since only 2 of the Mamas attended the meeting. Later on in the evening I spent some time with my neighbor Nyasa and her boyfriend who had just flown in from New York City to come and visit her.

On Tuesday I headed off to the yogurt kitchen and Mtoni High School to visit the Mamas and to help them make chapattis again for the breakfast program. Helping the Mamas with the breakfast program is one of my favorite things to do since it gives me time to hang out with the Mamas and just chat. It is nice because I am able to catch up with the Mamas on their personal lives as well as project matters while helping them out a little.
Later on I came home to the apartment to print out the label samples to bring to the Mamas the next day and I spent a little while finalizing and fine-tuning the membership cards for the new documentation system for the subsidized yogurt that is given to people living with HIV/AIDS.
In the late afternoon my friend Nyasa invited me to go with her, some of the other kivulini volunteers and her boyfriend Scott to visit one of the local organizations that our friend Musiba runs. The organization is called WW Talent Camp, which stands for Wote Wanaweza Talent Camp. Wote Wanaweza means ‘Everyone Can’ which suits the name of the organization since they promote self confidence, cooperation, learning, and growth through various artistic means. Our friend Musiba is just 27 years old and is a local artist who started WW Talent Camp last year. He told us that he recognized a need for extracurricular activities for the youth in his community to keep kids out of trouble and off of the streets. He thought that the best way to do that would to start a local community club where youth could come together to guide, teach and learn from one another. Since music, art and drama are his passion he decided to create WW talent camp where youth could focus on building their skills and confidence through signing, dancing, arts and crafts as well as martial arts and drama. Currently there are 52 members of WW talent camp and they meet every weekday from 3-6pm to learn, share and practice. Musiba directs the camp everyday and makes sure that he takes time out of every day to talk about local community issues and to provide advice and guidance to the rest of the group. He told us that many of their performances are centered around local community issues which include topics such as HIV/AIDS, youth pregnancies, and domestic violence. samaki place for dinner for Nyasa’s going away dinner. The WW Talent Camp currently pays for their supplies, production costs and equipment (stereos, radios, CDs, movie budgets etc.) out of their own pockets since they do not have a sponsor. Musiba expressed to us all that he would like to eventually find a sponsor so that they can expand the camp and possibly have enough funds to produce a full feature film that they can sell on the local market.
When we arrived at the camp we were warmly welcomed by about 15 of the WW Talent Camp members who were waiting to perform for us. They had 5 chairs set up for us and were all ready to present the various art forms that they had put together. The performance lasted about an hour and a half as the members showed us samples of all of the pieces that they have put together. It was amazing because we got to watch them do traditional Sukuma dances, Tarabu dances, martial arts, different drama skts and we got to hear them sing various styles of music including local Bongo Flava, Gospel, Reggae, Tarabu and Hip Hop….What a talented group! It was neat too because our friend Musiba even performed a few reggae songs for us. He was amazing! Musiba explained after that he has actually recorded some of his music in a studio and has produced a CD. He ended up giving me a copy of his CD and it is absolutely brilliant! I listen to it almost every day. In the evening we all went out for dinner at the good old samaki place so that Scott could get a taste of some local food. He seemed to really enjoy the fresh grilled tilapia with rice just as much as we did.

On Wednesday I took Scott, Nyasa’s boyfriend, to the yogurt kitchen, Mtoni high school and all around town so that he could have a tour of Mwanza. While I was at the kitchen I brought the print outs of the labels that I had made and asked them to choose which one they liked best. Four of the Mamas liked one design and six of them liked the other. I decided to go with the majority vote since that’s the one that Ashley and I liked best as well.
Since it was Nyasa’s last night, we all went to Tilapia Hotel for dinner and met up with all of our friends to say goodbye. I was really sad to see Nyasa go as she had become one of my best friends here in Mwanza. Her and her housemate Pamie had become my close friends and it was sad to see all my girls slowly leaving but I knew that I would see them again soon since we are all planning to have a reunion in New York City (where Nyasa lives) sometime next year.

On Thursday morning Ashley and I woke up extra early to say bye to Scott and Nyasa before they left on their safari to the Serengeti, Arusha, Zanzibar, and then off to New York. Later on in the morning Ashley and I headed to the yogurt kitchen to see the Mamas and to buy some of their yummy yogurt. In the afternoon Ashley and I headed to the market to buy some food for the apartment since we were getting very low on groceries. The market is always an adventure…we spent about an hour weaving in and out of the busy crowds with people hollering at us trying to get us to buy their produce. I must say that are bargaining skills have improved quite a bit…they seem to get better and better as time goes on. Later on in the evening Ashley and I met up with our friend Liz who is volunteering at Bugando Hospital for some delicious local chicken and ugali. After dinner I was not feeling so well so Ashley and I went home to rest.

When I woke up in the morning on Friday I still felt very aweful. It felt like I have malaria again but this time it felt much worse. I was very dizzy, had a cold and was extremely exhausted. Because I felt so awful I decided to go to the clinic to check for malaria. I thought that since I had just had malaria that it would be unlikely but I wanted to see what was wrong. After seeing the doctor and waiting a short time for my results the doctor explained to me that the malaria strain that I had the week before had gone out of my bloodstream and hid in my liver, which is why I thought that I was better. While the malaria parasite was hiding out in my liver, the cells probably spit and multiplied and the strain returned to my bloodstream with an even greater potency….sneaky, sneaky malaria. The doctor gave me a 2 week dose of medicine to ensure that the malaria would not reoccur. The medicine was pretty harsh and ended up making me feel worse again…a necessary evil though. I spent the rest of the day in bed.

On Saturday I was still feeling very sick from the malaria so I took it easy and watched a movie in the morning. Later on in the day I was getting very stir crazy and had to get out of the apartment so I decided to go to Tunza to relax and use the new wireless internet that they set up. It was a good time to catch up on some of my blog writing since I had fallen behind.

I spent the rest of the weekend lazing around, drinking fluids and doing small bits of paperwork…malaria is NOT cool!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the pictures, you will soon also be a talented builder and cow expert as well as yogurt maker and carry mega things upon your head WoOHOO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete